Deputy Unit Manager – Aquatics
£28,453 - £32,004
On behalf of our client, a leading academic institution, we are looking to recruit a Deputy Unit Aquatics Manager to run their aquatics facility for an exciting new expansion, working alongside dedicated surgical and imaging capabilities. The ideal candidate will be dedicated and enthusiastic with expert knowledge in a technically complex and rapidly evolving area within zebrafish research.
- IAT Level 3 or equivalent
- Home Office Personal Licence (with fish) is desirable
- Minimum of 2 years current and recent experience working in a research zebrafish unit
- Planning, organisation, coordinating, negotiating and problem solving skills
- Experience of successfully running a research zebrafish unit, including importation, quarantine and cryopreservation of zebrafish
- Must hold a driving license and be able to travel between locations which are not easily accessible by public transport.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Running of the ASU zebrafish facility on a day to day basis, and carry out advanced technical work related to the care and management of zebrafish within that facility
- To ensure that high standards of care and welfare and relevant legal requirements (especially those of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act) are maintained at all times
- Supervise a small pool of technicians and undertake NACWO and NIO responsibilities for specific sections of the Establishment
- Evaluate IVF and cryopreservation options for zebrafish to improve biosecurity and cost effectiveness of fish maintenance, introduce and run these services if appropriate
- Plan future allocation of space in the unit in line with academics research plans and deadlines and ensure environmental parameters are maintained to optimise fish health and meet Home Office requirements
- Ensure that both research support and fish welfare are delivered at a consistently high level and share information on new development and best practise.
- Participation in an out of hour’s rota will be required.
Please apply via our website or contact Alison.Dalby@agendalifesciences.co.uk
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.