A postdoctoral position in nutritional epigenetic mechanisms is available in the laboratory of Dr. Peggy Biga in the Department of Biology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
The lab is interested in understanding epigenetic mechanisms underlying maternal effect on offspring, with an emphasis on how maternal diet influences offspring metabolic and growth physiology in relation to epigenetic regulatory mechanisms. Using cellular, molecular, genomic, and whole organism approaches, our research focuses on 1) understanding the molecular basis of maternal effect on metabolic health, 2) discovery of epigenetic targets for maternal dietary influence, and 3) understanding the transgenerational effects of maternal diet. Our lab uses fish species as our model organisms, so experience/background in fish biology is a plus. The postdoctoral scientist will have the opportunity to work with rainbow trout and zebrafish models to understand maternal diet effects on offspring performance.
We are looking for a scientist with demonstrated independence, and passion for epigenetics, genomics, and comparative biology. Prior experience in epigenetics or genomics research is a plus but not essential. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to establish multidisciplinary collaborations and develop state-of-the-art genetic/genomic tools (ChIP-seq, RRBS) and utilize both in vivo and in vitro methodology.
- Candidates must have a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in zoology, biology, molecular biology, epigenetics, genetics or genomics, or related field.
- Preference will be given to creative and motivated candidates with experience in nutritional and growth physiology, primary cell culture, epigenetics, and/or larger-scale genomics analyses.
- The ideal postdoctoral candidate will be dedicated to basic research with strong analytical and communication skills. The fellow is expected to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside the laboratory
- The ideal candidate will also serve as a leader within the laboratory, so previous mentoring and leadership experience will be given preference.
To apply: Please send the following to email@example.com:
- A cover letter summarizing research interests and accomplishments; describing how your skills, training, and experience fit with the lab; and explain how this work would fit with your future career goals;
- A complete CV with a publication list;
- Contact information for three references
Start date: July 2019 and later.
About the University
UAB is committed to the development and success of outstanding postdoctoral scientists. The Office of Postdoctoral Education (OPE) at UAB provides mentoring and career guidance. Competitive postdoc awards are available including internships, grant incentives, funds to enhance education and collaboration outside UAB. There is access to several outstanding interdisciplinary programs and core facilities. The Birmingham area provides a metropolitan lifestyle, excellent schools, comfortable climate, and low cost of living.
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity, and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans. For more information on Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action at UAB, visit the UAB Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Or contact the office at 701 20th Street South, AB 336, Birmingham, AL 35294-0103.
About Our Postdoc Office
UAB is committed to the development and success of outstanding postdoctoral scientists. Here at UAB, nearly 300 postdoctoral fellows are training currently in a variety of disciplines, including dentistry, engineering, health professions, medicine, natural sciences and mathematics, public health, optometry, and social and behavioral sciences. Competitive postdoc awards are available including internships, grant incentives, funds to enhance education and collaboration outside UAB, and teaching opportunities at local universities. There is also a Postdoc Research Day with monetary awards. The OPE strongly encourages UAB research mentors to follow the National Research Service Award stipend level guidelines, and postdoctoral scholars qualify for health, life, and other insurances. They may also have the right to participate in the university's 403(b) program and enjoy vacation, sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, and other benefits.