Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University.
The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine invites applications for
Associate Professor Position in Complex and Systems Genetics (M/F) at the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB)
- Ref: I1-50011560
- Full-time position
- Tenure-track for 5 years
- Earliest starting date: January 2020
About the University of Luxembourg and LCSB
Founded in 2003, the University of Luxembourg is the only public university of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. It is a multicultural and modern European research university with a personal atmosphere. With an emphasis on interdisciplinary research, the University of Luxembourg strives for international excellence as well as regional relevance. The University of Luxembourg offers a competitive package and an international research and teaching environment.
The newly recruited professor will join the LCSB - an interdisciplinary research centre within the University of Luxembourg. At LCSB we accelerate biomedical research by closing the link between systems biology and medical research. Collaborations between biologists, medical doctors, computer scientists, physicists, engineers and mathematicians offer new insights in complex systems essential for understanding principal mechanisms of disease pathogenesis and for developing new tools in diagnostics and therapy.
As an Associate Professor at the University of Luxembourg you will:
- conduct research at the highest scientific level
- set up and develop your own research group in the field of complex and systems genetics
- be responsible for establishing a competitive research programme in complex and systems genetics with a focus on developing animal models for neurodegenerative diseases (preferentially Parkinson’s or Alzheimer disease), investigating gene to environment interactions and reaching out to computational approaches
- become the scientific leader of the state-of-the-art fish and mouse facilities of LCSB
- successfully attract external research grants from national and international sources
- lead interdisciplinary research by reaching out to the experimental, computational and clinical research groups within the collaborative environment of the University and LCSB
- interact and collaborate with other groups within the Luxembourg and the international research community
- be engaged in teaching courses for the Master in Systems Biology and upcoming medical education program as well as supervising and training of PhD students and mentoring of postdocs
- a Ph.D. in relevant field with documented background in complex and systems genetics
- an excellent research record in complex and systems genetics proven by high-level publications, conference presentations, and participation in international research collaborations
- experience in animal studies as well as design and conduct of experiments – practice with different animal models is a plus
- Proven expert knowledge of the principles, regulations and professional ethics related to animal biomedical research including necessary qualification and training certificates (FELASA or equivalent)
- experience in interdisciplinary research, systems and computational biology and/or willingness to emerge in this highly interdisciplinary environment
- proven leadership skills, including personnel and budget management skills
- experience in acquiring and managing research projects
- teaching experience at the undergraduate and the postgraduate level as well as supervisory skills
- strong interpersonal and communications skills
- proficient in English and in one of the two official languages of Luxembourg: French or German
- the University encourages its staff to learn the other official language and provides access to language courses to this end
- A 5-year tenure track with evaluation and possible promotion to full professor
- Fully funded position with competitive remuneration and attractive group budget
- Highly engaged and motivated staff in a positive and dynamic international and interdisciplinary working environment
- Access to state-of-the-art animal facilities: New rodent facility opened in 2018 (including SOPF breeding area, SPF experimental areas and Germ-free units) and the aquatic facility opened in 2016 equipped with cutting-edge semi-automated installations.
Candidates are welcome to send their complete application per e-mail to LCSB.firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15, 2019 at the latest. Please mention the job post reference in the subject field.
The following documents (in English) are requested to be submitted:
- A detailed curriculum vitae with a list of publications, courses taught, research grants, industry collaborations and experience, patents, as well as management and administrative positions held
- A cover letter including a statement highlighting scientific, educational, and other activities of particular significance for this position
- A short research statement presenting future research lines
- A list of three references including their contact information and current positions. Please indicate their relationship to you; (the referees will be contacted only upon approval from the candidate)
- Any additional material highlighting significant publications, success in obtaining research funding, industry contacts and collaborations, experience in management positions within a university or research centre, as well as other relevant qualifications and achievements are appreciated
The position at the Associate Professor level follows Luxembourg’s tenure-track scheme. An initial appointment on a fixed-term contract is foreseen. Upon successful evaluation of the projects, the candidate may be offered a permanent position and the possibility of promotion to Full Professor.
In addition to the above-mentioned application procedure, you might also complete the online application by clicking on “apply online” below. This is, however, not obligatory, and will not have any impact on the selection process.
For questions please contact:
Prof. Rudi Balling
Director of the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine
Campus Belval | Biotech II
6, avenue du Swing
All applications will be handled in strictest confidence.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.