Qatar International Zebrafish Workshop
- Conference: 13th April 2019 – 14th April 2017
- Workshop: 15th April 2019 – 17th April 2017
Research Complex Building (H10) – Qatar University.
This workshop is accredited by Continuing Professional Development for Health Professionals CPD – HP (QU – Health) which is an accredited provider by Qatar Council for Healthcare Practitioners Accreditation Department (QCHP-AD) for all Healthcare providers for a maximum of 13.0 CE Units. Activity Code: AGI-03-P33
Zebrafish emerged as a new animal model for research in recent years. Its advantages include ease of use, low maintenance costs and high throughput. Being a vertebrate model, zebrafish resembles human physiology in many aspects. Zebrafish is used commonly in developmental biology, cancer, toxicology, genetic disorders, neuronal disorders, diabetes and cardiovascular research.
Since the first establishment of the zebrafish facility in Qatar, there has been an increasing interest from research institutions in Qatar to use this model. This workshop is organized by the Biomedical Research center in Qatar university.
The aim of this workshop program is to focus on the utilization of the zebrafish model in a variety of research investigations, and to introduce this relatively new animal model to students, academicians, researchers and health care practitioners in the nation. The workshop will also provide a platform for establishing new collaborations. The event will involve both theoretical lectures from renowned experts in the field, as well as a hands-on practical session to train interested researchers.
Why you should attend:
- The first zebrafish workshop program in the region.
- A great opportunity to learn about the advantages of using this new animal model for research.
- To see how zebrafish helps to illustrate vertebrate development including in humans.
- To explore how zebrafish research contributes to human therapy for cancer, diabetes, heart disease and neuro-disorders.
- A chance to network with leading zebrafish professionals, scientists and researchers and to get updated on cutting-edge research in a diverse array of topics.
- An opportunity for students, research assistants and postdoctoral researchers to present their work in the poster session and exchange knowledge with other researchers in the field.
- Provides the chance for new and junior researchers and scientists, or students to be part of hands-on practical sessions. This allows them to be a part of wet labs and guided lab tours in the zebrafish facility, focusing on the main areas of the zebrafish research field.
- To provide a platform for collaborations and to broaden the scope of science related to the zebrafish animal model.
What you will learn:
The event will involve both theoretical lectures from renowned experts in the field as well as hands-on practical sessions to train interested researchers. The learning outcomes are:
- Get an insight into the zebrafish as an animal model and its use as a model in different research fields in comparison to other models.
- Learn about the emerging and most recent work done on the use of zebrafish in the developmental biology research field.
- Learn about the emerging and most recent work done on the use of zebrafish as a human disease model.
- Get the chance to be part of hands-on practical session, which focuses on the main areas in the zebrafish research. This includes maintenance of zebrafish systems and monitoring of water quality, fluorescent and confocal imaging of zebrafish, mrna and morpholino antisense oligonucleotides injections for knockdown or overexpression of proteins, crispr-cas9 genome editing technology, and toxicology assays.
- Continuing Professional Development accredits this workshop for Health Professionals CPD – HP (QU – Health) which is an accredited provider by Qatar Council for Healthcare Practitioners Accreditation Department (QCHP-AD) for all Healthcare providers for a maximum of 13.0 CE Units.
Platinum sponsors: Qatar National Research Funds
Golden Sponsors: Primary Health Care Corporation
Silver Sponsors: Al-Obeidly Trading Technology, Sedeer Medical