Postdoctoral Fellow Position in Zebrafish Drug Discovery / Neuroscience - St. Michael’s Hospital
Position: Postdoctoral Fellow
Location: Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Hours: 37.5 hours / week
Status: Full-time, two-year contract
Salary: $40,000 - $50,000 + benefits + vacations + health insurance
A postdoctoral position is available in the Brain & Breathing Science Lab at the Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science at St. Michael’s Hospital (www.gasplab.com).
Our lab focuses on understanding the neural mechanisms underlying opioid-induced respiratory depression using rodent models and at finding novel therapies to prevent opioid overdoses using zebrafish. The Brain & Breathing Lab is collaborating with the Zebrafish Centre for Advanced Drug Discovery.
We are currently looking for a postdoctoral fellow to help establish a new, phenotype-based high-throughput platform in zebrafish to identify target genes and new drug compounds that could prevent respiratory depression with opioid overdose, while preserving the analgesic properties of opioids.
- Implement, test, and enhance our existing platform in zebrafish.
- Test chemical libraries such as FDA-approved and repurposing drug libraries.
- Develop gene screening approaches in zebrafish to identify key-genes involved in the regulation of breathing in zebrafish
- A recently obtained PhD in Drug and/or Gene Discovery in Zebrafish and Neuroscience.
- Experience and expertise with zebrafish, genes knockdown with morpholino oligonucleotides, and drug screening
- Relevant first-author publications.
- Excellent skills in scientific writing and verbal presentation in English with a recent publication track record
- Expertise in Neuroscience is preferred but not mandatory.
- Please do not apply if your PhD is not related to zebrafish or drug screening.
Submit/attach a complete application as a single PDF file including 1) curriculum vitae, 2) one-page statement describing applicant’s accomplishments, 3) copies of relevant in-press, submitted articles, 4) names and email addresses of 3 referees.
Submit application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your application, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date. June 30, 2018.