2019 AQUACULTURE TECHNICIAN AT NYU (KNAUT AND TORRES-VAZQUEZ LABS)
The Zebrafish Aquaculture Facility at New York University School of Medicine has a position available for a Zebrafish Aquaculture Research Technician starting in 2019.
The selected Technician will work in a team setting to support scientific research in the labs of Drs. Holger Knaut (https://med.nyu.edu/faculty/holger-knaut) and Jesús Torres-Vázquez (https://med.nyu.edu/faculty/jesus-torres-vazquez) at the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University. Responsibilities include oversight of our 1000 square feet 3500-tank zebrafish aquaculture facility, breeding, and rearing zebrafish, maintenance/repair of the water system and assistance with experiments investigating the genetic regulation of zebrafish development, particularly the formation of the vascular system.
ELIGIBILITY (apply if you meet all of these criteria):
1. B.S. or M.S. in Biology, Fisheries or related fields.
2. Availability to start this position in early 2019 (between January and April 2019).
3. Commitment to the job for at least two years.
4. Highly desired attributes include:
a) Aquaculture experience.
b) Practical knowledge of both plumbing and electrical repairs.
c) Research experience (laboratory or field).
5. Excellent time management, ability to work both alone and with others, strong verbal and written communications skills are essential (the position includes both teamwork and independent tasks, and involves communicating with members of both zebrafish laboratories and the NYU Facilities/Maintenance staff).
NYU School of Medicine offers an excellent salary (starting at $42,000) and benefits package. Position is ideal for someone aiming to acquire lab experience prior to embarking on a Master’s in Biology or related field.
1. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com using the subject line: "2019 Zebrafish Technician: your name".
2. Attach your CV (entitled "2019 Zebrafish technician CV: your name") as a single WORD or PDF file. Please start your document with the following five pieces of information at the top (without them the review of your application will be delayed, or not occur):
1. Name, current living address (city, state, and country) and telephone number.
2. Expected date of availability.
3. Degree(s), date(s) awarded and GPA(s).
4. Name, title, e-mail and phone number of three references (please state in what capacity these references know you and for how long).
5. Summary of experience: A paragraph (10 lines maximum) describing your interests and experience relevant to this position.