The Division of Laboratory Animal Resources (DLAR) at the University of Pittsburgh has an opening for an Aquatics Facility Manager (position #0135537). The position oversees and directs the daily operations and management of the DLAR 10,000 tank aquatics facility including the aquatic housing systems, husbandry practices, and animal care personnel in compliance with applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that institutional policies, DLAR guidance documents, AAALAC and OLAW standards, and other practices applicable to the provision of animal husbandry and care are adhered to at the facility level;
- The supervision, direction, performance management, and professional development of assigned animal care personnel;
- Ensuring that aquatic housing systems, mechanical tank washing equipment, and related facility equipment required for the daily provision of animal husbandry and care are functioning properly and maintained in good working condition and repair;
- Assessing and responding to tank water quality monitoring alarms generated by the SCADA system and communicating the nature and resolution of critical alarms to research personnel;
- Ensuring that static tank maintenance, feeding of special (non-standard) diets, tank changing procedures, and other procedures performed by research personnel are conducted in accordance with established practices and timelines;
- Maintaining a standard 80% larvae survivability for wild type zebrafish;
- Promoting effective communication and collaboration that foster and maintain productive working relationships with other DLAR leaders, investigators and research personnel, the IACUC, EH&S, and other entities involved with the animal care and use program.
Relevant education, training, experience, and skills include:
- Minimum of four years of experience in a large, shared zebrafish resource core facility managing the daily operations, supervising personnel, and supporting a variety of customers and research interests;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities including excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills and the ability to face and resolve conflict;
- Bachelor’s Degree (required) relevant to the areas of responsibility (Master’s Degree preferred);
- Certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) level within 36 months of start date.
The review of applications will begin upon receipt and will continue until a suitable candidate is identified and the position is filled. Salary is commensurate with experience. Interested persons should apply online at https://www.pittsource.com by clicking on “Staff Positions” then entering “Aquatics Facility Manager” under Keywords.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.