A full-time Research Associate/Lab Manager position is available at the Hoffman Lab, Child Study Center and Department of Neuroscience, Yale University, New Haven, CT USA
Our laboratory uses zebrafish as a model system to study the function of genes involved in autism spectrum disorders. The research associate will participate in daily management of the laboratory and contribute to research projects aimed at understanding how autism risk genes affect vertebrate brain development at the cellular and molecular levels. This position provides opportunities for co-authorship on published manuscripts.
1. Conduct research, working with the principal investigator to plan, design, and perform experiments. Experimental duties include molecular biology, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, and zebrafish microinjection. Maintain organized data files of research.
2. General lab maintenance, including organizing databases, placing orders, maintaining stock solutions, and ensuring lab equipment is functioning properly. Maintain updated safety and animal regulatory protocols.
3. Assist in maintenance of zebrafish facility. Monitor water quality and fish health.
4. Breed and genotype zebrafish to maintain genetic lines. Maintain detailed record of zebrafish lines.
1. Master’s Degree in a relevant scientific discipline and one year of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. 5 or more years of experience is preferred.
2. Proficiency in molecular biology techniques, including PCR, cloning, western blotting, immunohistochemistry, and in situ hybridization.
3. Practical experience in zebrafish husbandry. The ideal candidate will have experience in zebrafish microinjection and phenotypic analysis.
4. Enthusiastic, highly motivated, strong work ethic, and excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Prior experience in laboratory management is preferred.
To apply: Candidates should send the following to Dr. Ellen Hoffman (firstname.lastname@example.org):
1. A cover letter describing how your qualifications and interests match this position.
3. Contact information for three references.
More information about the laboratory and its research projects can be found at: www.hoffmanlab.net.