The Marsden Lab in the Department of Biological Sciences at North Carolina State University is seeking a full-time Research Assistant/Lab Manager. The successful applicant will facilitate the lab's day-to-day operations, participate in training undergraduate and graduate students, and engage in research projects focused on understanding the genetic and neural circuit basis of behavior.
This is a 12-month, full-time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement plan options, and many amenities both on and off-campus.
Who you are:
- You are a biologist, preferably a neuroscientist, with previous experience working with zebrafish.
- You have excellent organizational skills and pay keen attention to detail.
- You think strategically and communicate clearly.
- You enjoy working in a team, teaching, and mentoring others.
- You are curious and love to learn.
Your essential duties:
- Care for and maintain a zebrafish colony, including daily feeding and water quality monitoring
- Perform routine zebrafish husbandry to generate larvae for experiments
- Order and manage inventory of laboratory supplies
- Conduct research, working with the principal investigator to plan, design, and perform experiments in 3 broad arenas:
- Analyze the behavior of zebrafish in response to visual, auditory and olfactory stimuli using high-speed imaging and automated tracking software; develop new behavioral assays to measure learning, anxiety and social behavior
- Use molecular biology techniques to assay gene expression, design and create transgenic constructs, and microinjections to establish transgenic zebrafish lines for visualization of neural circuit connectivity and activity
- Use confocal microscopy to image neural development, connectivity and activity, as well as gene expression patterns using in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry
- Interact with and participate in training students in the laboratory
- Master's degree or Bachelor’s degree plus 3 or more years of relevant experience in a research laboratory, or relevant independent experience and education in neuroscience
- Experience feeding and maintaining zebrafish
- Basic laboratory skills as well as familiarity with genetics, molecular biology techniques including basic cloning and PCR, and microscopy
Go to https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/86205 and follow the instructions. You will need to submit a Cover Letter, CV, and list of References. For further questions, contact the principal investigator at email@example.com.