Research Assistant Biology
A full time Research Assistant/Lab Manager position is now available in the Cerveny Lab, Reed College Biology Department. The successful applicant will participate in the daily running of an established zebrafish lab, helping to train and supervise undergraduate fish care assistants and participating in research projects aimed at understanding how extrinsic signals impinge on proliferation and differentiation of neuronal stem cells in the growing zebrafish visual system.
Further information about the lab and its research projects can be found at http://academic.reed.edu/biology/professors/cerveny.html.
This is a 12-month, full-time, exempt position. Reed College offers an excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution, paid holidays, paid vacation and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and access to onsite daycare provided by Growing Seeds.
WHO YOU ARE
· You are a biologist and have previous experience with zebrafish
· You enjoy working with, teaching, and mentoring others
· You possess the ability to think strategically and communicate clearly
· You have excellent communication skills and keen attention to detail
· Close working relationship with principal investigator to keep lab organized and fully stocked
· Conduct research, working with the principal investigator to plan, design, and perform experiments
· Feeding and breeding zebrafish to maintain genetic lines
· Monitoring water quality and fish health
· Performing preventative maintenance on a constant-flow aquatic system
· Bachelor’s or Ph.D. in relevant discipline
· Practical experience in feeding and maintenance of zebrafish
· Familiarity and experience with some (or all) of the following: genetics, molecular biology techniques including basic cloning and PCR, cell biology, zebrafish embryology, and confocal microscopy
Please click the interfolio link (https://apply.interfolio.com/43697) to apply. A CV and cover letter are required for submission. In your cover letter, please address how your qualifications and interests match this position. In addition, please discuss how you are qualified to support and contribute to Reed College’s mission of diversity, equity, and inclusion. If you have any questions, please contact the PI at email@example.com.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; Start date is expected to be in late November/early December 2017.