Is Internal Transfer Only
Anticipated Hiring Range
$35,000 - $45,000
Hours will vary
Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
172201 - Biological Sciences
Job City & State
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Biological Sciences is dedicated to basic research and teaching in a broad range of aspects of the biological sciences.
The Department has strong undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral programs and substantial extramural support to develop and maintain integrative research programs. In addition the Department enhances its mission to interdisciplinary research and training programs with other units in the life sciences across colleges.
Essential Job Duties
The Research Assistant will independently develop, design, and/or execute moderately complex research activities for a single or multiple research projects, participate in formulating research methods, and suggests options for improving quality and recommending solutions.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Care and maintenance of a zebrafish colony, including daily feeding and water quality monitoring
- Routine zebrafish husbandry to generate larvae for experiments
- Ordering and managing inventory of laboratory supplies
- Using established genotyping methods to maintain zebrafish stocks and developing new PCR-based genotyping protocols
- Analyzing the behavior of zebrafish in response to visual, auditory and olfactory stimuli using high-speed imaging and automated tracking software; develop new behavioral assays to measure learning, anxiety and social behavior
- Using molecular cloning techniques to design and create transgenic constructs and microinjections to establish transgenic zebrafish lines for visualization of neural circuit connectivity and activity
- Using confocal microscopy to image neural development, connectivity and activity, as well as gene expression patterns using in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry
- Interacting with and participating in training of students in the laboratory
Relevant Master’s degree, or Bachelor’s and 3 or more years of relevant experience in a research laboratory, or relevant independent experience and education in the field of Neuroscience.
Departmental Required Skills
- Fluency with the Microsoft Office Suite, statistical analysis
- Basic laboratory skills, including making solutions and dilutions
- Experience with molecular biology techniques, including primer design, PCR, and cloning
- Formal training in genetics
- Experience with animal research
- Ability and desire to learn new techniques
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Experience using zebrafish for research
- Experience with behavioral analysis and microscopy
- Knowledge of image analysis software such as ImageJ, Imaris, MetaMorph
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Programming experience with MATLAB or Python, experience managing large datasets
- Master’s degree in neuroscience or related field
Required License or Certification
Job Open Date
Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?
Proposed Hire Date
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
Application Materials Required
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References