RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
What our lab does: We are studying how the immune system responds to bacterial infection and are particularly interested in the relationship between the immune system and bacteria that cause tuberculosis. We use the zebrafish as an animal model to study the immune system because of its unique combination of characteristics (easy to manipulate genetics, transparent throughout development, and high conservation with human immune system).
Position summary: We are looking to hire a highly motivated individual to assist with maintaining our fish facility and our fish lines. This position follows a fixed schedule from 9am-6pm with one unpaid hour off for lunch, Monday through Friday. Occasionally, short weekend shifts will be required (~1-2hr in length and, accordingly, the Monday-Friday schedule would be modified to accommodate periodic weekend hours). This position will primarily report to a senior postdoctoral fellow in the laboratory.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Feeding the animals in our facility 2-3x/week and ability to help fill in shifts as required
• Daily, weekly and monthly system maintenance duties (cleaning, calibrating equipment, monitoring water quality and system functionality)
• Working with and training undergraduate facility assistants
• Making general lab stock solutions and bacterial plates as required
• Genotyping mutant fish lines (genomic DNA preparations and PCR)
• Maintaining transgenic fish lines (incrossing/outcrossing lines and sorting for positive transgenics using fluorescent microscopy)
• Preparing shipments of lab reagents and transgenic lines to send to collaborators
• Respond to unexpected facility emergencies, and hopefully help to improve our working system to minimize emergencies
• Updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other documentation for the fish facility
• Experimental projects will vary and will be secondary to the required duties
• Other duties as needed/assigned
What we are looking for:
Someone who is hard working, responsible, detail oriented, observant, thoughtful, works well with others, and interested in problem solving. Must be interested in working with animals (simple procedures) and BSL-2-level pathogens.
Full Time / Part Time
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. ******************************************************* Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other science related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree, and at least 2 semesters of lab experience.
Additional skill sets we would love to see in an applicant:
Working with/building databases and integrating them into a web-accessible system
Basic understanding of plumbing
Auto req ID86387BR