Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center is a world renowned organization dedicated to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research, and education.
Our Research Animal Resource Center (RARC) has an immediate opening for an experienced aquatics facility manager to oversee the programmatic, administrative, and operational activities of facilities at both MSKCC and WCMC. The Manager, Aquatics Systems and Services will supervise and schedule the activities of up to 5 aquatics technicians assigned to the program. Species currently include ~18,000 Zebrafish (Danio rerio) and ~115 African Clawed- Frog (Xenopus laevis). In this role, you will collaborate extensively with scientific staff regarding the use and refinement of their aquatic animal models and conducts research to meet these needs. Additionally, you will provide technical services to scientific staff and assists with IACUC animal protocol development and review. Our ideal candidate will be able to maintain a high level of customer service by providing timely, accurate and expert support to researchers in all aspects of research utilizing aquatic species. Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Supervise and coordinate the daily activities of aquatics technicians by delegating work assignments (including weekend coverage) and ensures completion of duties
· Oversee the daily operations of aquatics holding rooms, life support systems, equipment and support areas
· Perform a critical review of all procedures impacting aquatics facilities to ensure the highest performance in the most cost effective manner
· Effectively communicates and collaborates with zebrafish scientists at both MSKCC and WCMC regarding husbandry issues, growth, development and reproductive success of aquatic species, overall health and general satisfaction with the models being used and research needs
· Responsible for the training and development of aquatics technicians, including: assuring employees have undergone all required institutional and RARC training, ensuring all staff are competent in husbandry and other aquatics related procedures, scheduling seminars and hands-on training for new devices and techniques
· Evaluate new equipment and procedures, and develops and evaluate Standard Operating Procedures
· BA/BS in Aquaculture or Fisheries Biology/Management or related fields required; MA/MS in Aquaculture or Fisheries Biology/Management or related fields strongly preferred
· At least two (2) years experience in the management of aquatic systems required; Five (5) years experience in the field with supervisory experience preferred
· AALAS Certification at the Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) or Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) level Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be capable of functioning independently with minimal supervision with analytical skills to resolve complex problems requiring the use of scientific, mathematical or technical principles
· Must have an understanding of molecular biology techniques, genetic principles, population biology and biosecurity
· Must have knowledge of general engineering principals of the aquatic life support systems and basic plumbing skills
· Must be detail oriented with superb organizational and interpersonal skills
· Minimum computer skills include proficiency with e-mail, internet, and word-processing
We offer an excellent salary and comprehensive benefits, including tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at http://mskcc.hodesiq.com/careers/job-details.asp?JobID=3045267 and apply on-line.
MSKCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.